Sunday, May 6, 2007

Greetings from Kara




So, here I am on break during our weekend intensive just weeks before we venture off to Tanzania.


I am filled with all sorts of emotions as the time gets closer. Honestly, when I first applied to lead this trip I thought it was probably a bad idea for me, and throughout the year I have had many times where I just wanted to cry, but as the time grows nearer and things start to fall into place I am getting more and more excited and more at ease with my decision.


I will just introduce a little about myself and what motivated me to want to lead this trip to Africa, focusing on HIV/AIDS and childhood hunger issues.


My name is Kara Casey, I am 21 years old and a senior here at Johnson State, graduating in a couple of weeks, I am from Massachusetts. I consider myself an activist, although sometimes quiet and withdrawn. my main reason for wanting to go on this trip was my passion for HIV/AIDS issues. I started work as an intern at Vermont CARES (the states largest AIDS service org.) in 2005, and have since taken a position there as a Program Assistant. I cannot really say how this passion came about, probably because of the strong connection between HIV/AIDS and the queer community. But when given the opportunity to propose a trip I knew that I didn't want to lead again unless it was going to Africa working on HIV/AIDS issues.


Although I have never had a strong desire to go to Africa, I do realize that I cannot truly understand the issue until I understand it on a global level. I hope that the work the group participates in in Usa River helps me to better understand this pandemic. I feel as though working with such a different population will help me to be more competant in the field that I hope to continue in for years to come, and that I will be able to educate and share my experiences with all those that i come in contact here. The connection needs to happen in our minds, HIV/AIDS is not a African problem, it is a societal problem, a world issue and it is only when we understand this that we can begin to understand the virus, and how to effectively combat it.


See you in Africa!


Peace,


Kara


No comments: