Monday, May 7, 2007

Maria here.


Hello out there!!! This is Maria. I'm also a co-leader of the trip. I was the last trip leader to accept the position. Kara and Celine proposed it and were accepted but they needed one more leader. I was honoured to be asked and, of course, I accepted. Last year I lead a trip based on Prison Reform. A group of 9 travelled to Oakland, California were we responded to prisoners letters reporting abuse, neglect and other factors. This summer I was selected to lead the national Breakaway trip to Chicago were I worked on domestic and sexual violence issues. You can go to the alternative breaks link below to find out more about breakaway trips.


Over the course of the last year the group has been working on fundraising and educational campaigns. Yesterday we locked ourselves up for about 12.5 hours to discuss the trip and the issue (global HIV/AIDS and hunger) in depth. It's been a tough year...some of the most demanding work I've ever done, but like Kara I can feel it coming together now. As the day grows nearer I grow more anxious and excited. First I must get through finals and graduation! Not to mention moving to a new apartment in a new city and searching for a job!!


I'm glad you're here!


Peace,

Maria

No comments: