Monday, May 14, 2007

Valerie

Hello, my name is Valerie Welter and I have been given the gift of being chosen to be a member of this group of Johnson State College students/staff traveling to Tanzania to address the issues of HIV/AIDS and childhood hunger. Last spring, I went on the BreakAway trip to Vietnam, which was a life changing experience having never traveled internationally previous to the trip (Canada and the Bahamas do not fit my definition of international travel). How myopic my limited worldview had been...reading and watching documentaries are no comparison to being there...seeing, smelling, touching, hearing, and tasting Vietnam. This year I will experience Africa with all of my heart, emotions, and senses.

I am proud to announce that at 50, I am the eldest member of the group chronologically, not necessarily in regard to maturity. I am young at heart and have a slightly warped sense of humor; I was delighted to discover that other group members have similarly sick ways! I have been married for 28 years in June and have three children ages 26, 24, and 16. My family sustains me...they are my life breath and have supported me in my endeavors. I am a Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselor and work in the Counseling Center at JSC as the Coordinator of Alcohol and Drug Services. I could not imagine having another job; the JSC environment, especially the students and my co-workers Andy and Barb, are near and dear to me. Additionally, I am an American Red Cross Certified HIV/AIDS educator. Going on this trip is a dream come true for me; I am deeply fulfilled at the prospect of helping others in less fortunate circumstances than myself. In our retirement, my husband and I hope to engage in international volunteer work.

No comments: